May 8 – May 12 Weekly Work Log

May 8 – May 12 Weekly Work Log

Session Number 5
Week Number 8
Total Estimated Hours Contributed this Week ~1.5 hours
What is/was your overall goal for this week? To learn more about music theory

Work Tasks

Date Task Description Time Spent  Was / Were your choices and work Best Practices? Why? 
5/8 I finished watching “Music Theory in 16 Minutes”.

I spent the rest of my time practicing playing bass with a pick, using songs in the “Modern Band Method” booklet.

~6 minutes

10 minutes

Pretty much recapping what I learned last week about the Circle of Fifths, so not really.

I think so? Using a pick is weird. It might just be something I have to get used to, but I’m not sure I like the sound that’s made with it either.

5/9 I spent the period watching “The Secret to What Chords Work – Putting Tunes and Chords Together”. ~25 minutes Most of the video had him going through a song composition, which was pretty cool to watch. I’m not sure how much I learned from it, per se, but I got a bit of inspiration from seeing the process.
5/10  I practiced more with “Modern Band Method”. ~20 minutes Yes. It’s the first time I’ve tried playing via staff notation, and I think it went well.
5/11 I tried making a little composition in Online Sequencer. ~20 minutes I think so. I started off with a percussion beat that had been in my head this morning, and worked from there with a tune that just came off the top of my head. I don’t think it’s groundbreaking or anything, but it was pretty invigorating to actually get a musical idea, haha.
5/12 I spent a little bit working on the composition from yesterday. ~8 minutes Not much. I only tweaked the percussion slightly during a re-listen.