May 1 – May 5 Weekly Work Log

May 1 – May 5 Weekly Work Log

Session Number 5
Week Number 7
Total Estimated Hours Contributed this Week 2.5 hours
What is/was your overall goal for this week? To learn a bit more about music theory via different resources

Work Tasks

Date Task Description Time Spent  Was / Were your choices and work Best Practices? Why? 
5/1 I spent the period reading some of the first chapter of Hooktheory II. ~25 minutes Yes. I gained a better understanding of scale structures, and learned about seventh chords.
5/2 I continued reading Hooktheory II. ~17 minutes I think so. I learned a bit more about seventh chords, both major and minor, and the different qualities to each.
5/3 I worked on a composition for Sergio. 25 minutes Actually, yeah. I’m pretty happy with how it came out (although I’m not sure how well it fits what he wanted…) and I especially had fun playing with the bass line.
5/4 I continued and finished reading Hooktheory II. 32 minutes Yes. I learned about inversions in seventh chords, and how they can be used to connect the bass notes of different chords.
5/5 I spent a little while tinkering with GarageBand’s pedals.

I spent the rest of the period watching “Music Theory in 16 Minutes” by Guy Michelmore.

~15 minutes

~14 minutes

The pedals were interesting, but none of them really suited the song for my SMART goal. They’re fun to play with, but they sort of seem geared more towards guitars than basses.

Yes! While there were some things in the video I knew already, I learned a lot more about how scales are organized, and how key signatures work.