Apr. 24 – Apr. 28 Weekly Work Log

Apr. 24 — Apr. 28 Weekly Work Log

Session Number 5
Week Number 6
Total Estimated Hours Contributed this Week: 5
My goal this week was to learn more about general music theory.

Work Tasks

Date Task Description Time Spent Was this a Best Practice?
4/24 I practiced playing the bass intro to “Red Barchetta”.

I spent the rest of the period reading Hooktheory I.

12 minutes

30 minutes

Practicing the tune was mostly for fun, so I suppose it was a good practice. Hooktheory I has more useful information about music theory, with examples used from specific songs, so I do feel I’m benefitting from reading it.

4/25 I practiced the same tune from yesterday.

I spent the rest of the time reading Hooktheory I; specifically, chapters about chord structure and progressions.

5 minutes

28 minutes

Yes. I learned about different chord combinations, stability and instability, and resolution in chord progressions.
4/26 I spent the period reading the “Modern Band Method” book on keyboards. 17 minutes Kind of? I’m interested in playing keyboard, so reading this book felt helpful for understanding the basics; but since I’m not actively playing keys, I don’t feel that knowledge is being applied well.
4/27 I continued reading and finished Hooktheory I.

I spent the rest of the period continuing to read the “Modern Band Method” book on keyboards.

22 minutes

12 minutes

I think so. Hooktheory I taught me some useful things about the theory behind different chords and progressions, so I feel a bit less blind in that department of music theory.
4/28 I spent the period trying to come up with an original composition in Hookpad, following the pitch from that kid in Game Design. 39 minutes No. I didn’t come up with anything good.