School of Rock – Week 8 – Melody

CC image Music Was My Refuge by Cindy Mc at Flickr

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. – Maya Angelou

SUMMARY

• I liked learning more about music theory, and some of the terms that go with it. Some of the materials have, in a way, kind of shown me that making music isn’t as complicated as I thought; admittedly, I was kind of dreading making music for this class, because I worry I’m not creative enough in that department.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

• The underlying techniques and tricks that go into making good music spans across multiple styles and genres.
  • It’s possible for people to remember melodies that they heard even while in the womb.
  • “Tunes can act as a bridge between cultures when language fails us.”
  • A large number of melodies throughout history have been based on a pentatonic shape.
  • There are 3 main elements to a melody: the notes, their pitch, and their pattern.
  • “Blue-notes” are notes that have been flattened for expressive purposes.

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

• I learned what hotkeys you can use to change the duration of a note in the melody section, and how to change and add different instruments.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

• I think it’s interesting the way Ruth Stone described the process of inspiration; a sort of external force that comes barrelling through you, if only for a moment. Lord knows that’s happened to me multiple times, as a writer myself. It’s specifically why I’ve taken to having a notes app on my phone; so that I can write down my ideas and inspiration from anywhere before they get lost.

STUDIO (SONGWRITING)

Melody Composition Terms

• Theme – A longer, more flowing melodic idea.
  • Motive – A short, rhythmic idea.
  • Period – Eight measures of music.
  • Phrase – A set of four measures of music.
  • Antecedent (Question) Phrase – The first phrase of music.
  • Consequent (Answer) Phrase – The second phrase of music. 
  • Scale Degrees
    • Tonic – The note that determines the key of the melody.
    • Supertonic, Mediant, Submediant – Scale degrees with a moderate level of tension.
    • Dominant, Subdominant, Leading Tone – Scale degrees that create a high level of tension in the melody.
  • Steps – Any movement using whole or half steps.
  • Leaps – Any movement using intervals larger than a whole step.
  • Conjunct motion – A melody built primarily out of steps.
  • Disjunct motion – A melody built primarily using leaps.
  • Repetition – The use of repeated material to create a link between the two phrases of a period.
  • Contrast – Two phrases that contain contrasting material to create tension and interest.
  • Variation – Halfway between repetition and contrast. Both phrases include familiar and varied material.

Melody Resources

Mr. Le Duc’s Key of C Major Notes and Chords Chart (PDF)

WHAT I LEARNED and PROBLEMS I SOLVED

• Today, I figured out how to use Hookpad. Admittedly, up until this point, I didn’t even know that the website could be used to make music as well as analyze existing songs. I had a bit of trouble with the formatting of this post itself, but I was able to get it down using the example post.